The Barber's Chair
This grand old chair has quite a long history indeed.
The intricate metalwork detail in the footrest, the ceramic armrests and the leather seat all add to the decorative charm of this chair, which was once an essential part of our local community.
In the late 1950s, Cardwell local Mr. James Creagh bought the chair following the retirement of the old barber, who had plied his trade in the back room of the “Top Pub” in Tully for many years.
As part of his many skilled services to the community, Jim had set up the chair beside a well-appointed billiard table in his family room for the comfort and enjoyment of his ‘cronies’ (clients). Indeed, many happy hours were passed yarning about the state of the nation, the local scene, and spouting poetry whenever a ‘crony’ felt inspired. And, without a doubt, many a comment was passed around regarding the state of their heads of hair as the years went by!
Remember these were the days of the scissors and comb haircut, and the cut-throat razor for the finishing touches; and including of course, if desired, the full facial shave. Oh, the memories of the good old days!
James Dominic Creagh (1918 – 2008) was the son of Patrick John and Mary Ann Creagh (nee Hubinger) of Cardwell and the grandson of Johann Christian Hubinger, originally from Germany, (for whom this Museum is named) and Elizabeth Hubinger (nee Cunningham) originally from Ireland.
Collection of old cut-throat razors